zondag 14 september 2014

The first days.. Meeting 'America'

So hey there!
July 30th was my flight to the United States. It took forever! I've been traveling for 22 hours and then I was finally there! My first flight was about 9 hours and they gave me a sandwich, tortelini, ice cream, cheese, bread, drinks; everything! Hahah it was really funny because I didn't expect that at all! I watched Divergent, and the woman next to me fainted.. Ohhh...
After my first flight I went to get coffee in Minneapolis. I;ve been waiting for 5 hours and I skyped with Roos Alice en Anco! Yay! I thought I missed my flight at first, freaking out for a few seconds.. But the plane was right in front of me so everything turned out great:D
So then I was at the Salt Lake City airport doing nothing all the time, just whatsapping...
And then.. the last flight to Idaho Falls!!!

 I arrived at the airport in Idaho Falls. My host family was standing there with signs to welcome me. They were so nice to me, from the second I knew them. I'm really happy with my family and I'm really getting used to everything here! 

By the way; I haven't asked them yet if they want to be on this blog, so in this blogspot I'm going to tell you everything about what I have done here the last two weeks. If I've asked them I'll post fun pictures and stories about them as soon as I can!

When I arrived at my new home for this year, I saw the cutest dog alive! his name is Shadow and he is so sweet. He is a golden retriever, I just love him.

Look at him; isn't he adorable!? :D



And I've been shopping! Clearance everywhere haha! But don't worry I didn't buy much; one pair of pants, two shirts (which I can wear to school... I brought tank tops but I'm not allow to wear them to school), two cardigans. And actually.. I didn't buy anything of it! My host mom was so nice and gave me these clothes! I really wanted to pay, but she said; no, it's a gift! 
Really nice of her and I love the clothes so much!


Then, the drive in movie theater! Whut! Haha it was really cool. We went to Driggs, which is a two and a half hour drive for us. The movie theater was called 'the Spud'.  We had an amazing burger out there and we watched two movies. 'Planes' and 'Tammy'. But the funny thing is that I haven't seen them both.. I saw maybe half an hour, but I was still jetlagged so I slept through the biggest part of both movies... :$ Shame on me!

This was the big screen where we watched the movies on; cool or not!?



It's totally summer here, wow! So hot! When the sun shines, you just burn, like, really burn. It's so hot out here. But I think a brought a little bit of the Netherlands with me... They told me it almost never rains here in Blackfoot, but.. since I've been here there were seriously a few days of heavy rain! Look at this!!



My family was so nice to give me some food when I got here, so I had something to eat when I was hungry:) They loooved my stoopwafels and hagelslag haha! I also brought them t- shirts from the Netherlands soccer worldcup. We have pictures of them all but I'll post that when they say they're fine with it:)

I also went shopping in the biggest stores ever. You know, in the Netherlands you have like 'Dirk van den broek' and 'Albert Heijn' but they're all so small! My gosh.. Wal Mart was the biggest store I've ever seen and they sell everything.. Make-up, couches, candles, school supplies, food, cleaning stuff, everything.
And than the shopping malls I'm not used too! Awesome! You know, I like Amsterdam a lot but here it's just so different that everything is inside a big mall. And they just have drive throug everything!
Shame on me, I haven't been to a Starbucks yet! But they even have a drive trhough Starbucks.. Pharmacy, bank, ofcourse Mac Donalds.

I also went camping with my host family and a part of my host moms family. I LOVED it. We went clear up in the mountains and I got to learn how to ride a four wheeler! (Quad). They were all riding motor bikes, and someday I'll try that too. The weather was nice! Sunny, warm and no rain no more! Their camp trailer was so big. We could all six sleep in there, and there was a sort of kitchen in there, a shower, just again: everything! We had a camp fire every night, but I still haven't tried s'mores yet!
We were doing rides everyday and it was just awesome. I slept nice long nights, and we even went swimming in a pool that was heated by nature! It was really hot but I liked it, nice and warm:)






Sorry that this is just online by now but my site would not let me upload it!!!
Some pictures won't upload either:(


Next time I will tell you all about my host family and their big families, my school experience, my 18th birthday, the demolition derby in St. Anthony, the East Idaho State Fair and more!






Thank you for reading! I hope you liked it, see you soon!

Xx Maartje





Geen opmerkingen: